CBHC Annual Meeting : Past Award Winners
Health Care Provider of the Year
- Given to the person or organization that provides exemplary health care services to underserved populations.2011 – No award given
- 2012 – Cook County Health Care System
- 2011 – No award given
- 2010 – IAFP and the IL Health Connect program
- 2009 – Sinai Health Systems
- 2008 – Access to Care
- 2007 – Y-ME National Breast Cancer Organization
- 2006 – Illinois Free Clinic Association
- 2005 – Gilead Outreach and Referral Center
Prior winners: – Covering Kids and Families; Ruth Rothstein ; Health care workers of SEIU, NASW and INA; Community Health Centers throughout Illinois; MacNeal Hospital; Commissioner Sheila Lynn; Chicago Women’s Health Center; Community Health.
Best Investigative Health Care Reporting
Given to the person or media outlet that produces innovative, in-depth health care reporting.
- 2012 – Wendell Potter
- 2011 – Dean Olsen, Springfield Journal-Register
- 2010 – Jonathan Cohn
- 2009 – Progress Illinois
- 2008 – Ezra Klein
- 2007 – Cindy Richards
- 2006 – (not awarded)
- 2005 – Families USA
Prior winners: Crystal Yednak, Chicago Tribune; Jorge Mota, Exito!; Della de Lafuente (Sun Times); Elaine Hopkins (Peoria Journal Star); Community Media Workshop; Illinois Public Radio; Barbara Mellman.
Volunteer of the Year
Given to the volunteer who goes above and beyond the call of duty for CBHC.
- 2012 – Karen Metcalf
- 2011 – Sasha Castillo (Champaign); Will Wilson (Chicago)
- 2010 – Scott Johnson
- 2009 – Rev. Elissa Leone
- 2008 – Jennifer Tristan
- 2007 – Health Care Story Sharers
- 2006 – Beth Najberg & Laurel Bault
- 2005 – Bob Cowie
Prior Winners: Larry Thorsen; Becky Spoon; Shannon O’Dell; RSVP Champaign; IBEW 21; Deb Moran; Rebecca Reitz; Samuel “Bud” Wintraub; Emily Carter; Guidi Weiss; Jeanie Akamanti.
Elected Official of the Year
Given to the elected official who, through their work, did the most to advance the fight for health care justice in the past year.
- 2012 – National Health Care Justice Leader: Kathleen Sebellius
- 2012 – National Health Care Legislative Leader: Rep. Donna Edwards (MD-4)
- 2011 – State Representative Robyn Gabel
- 2010 – Governor Pat Quinn
- 2009 – All members of the IL Congressional del. who voted for the Affordable Health Care for America Act: Rush, Jackson, Lipinski, Gutierrez, Quigley, Davis, Bean, Schakowsky, Halvorson, Costello, Foster, Hare
- 2008 – U.S. Senator Richard Durbin
- 2007 – State Sen. Dave Koehler
- 2006 – State Rep. Barbara Flynn Currie
- 2005 – Governor Rod Blagojevich
Prior winners: State Senator Donne Trotter; State Senator Emil Jones; State Representative William Delgado; State Senator Del Valle; State Rep. Mary Flowers; State Rep Carolyn Krause; State Rep. Barbara Flynn Currie; State Rep Jan Schakowsky; State Rep Sonia Silva; State Senator Garcia; State Senator Barack Obama; State Rep. Tom Dart; State Rep. Elizabeth Coulson; State Rep. Rosemary Mulligan; State Senator Arthur Berman; State Rep. Sara Feigenholtz.